Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Environmental Analytical Chemistry

I can't believe that my first reaction to those words is... "awesome!" This has been an incredibly difficult class, but interesting in more ways than one. First, we're working a lot more with how chemistry relates to the environment and the policies that protect it. It's fun to see how the nerd stuff I do in school can relate to the rest of the world. Plus, it is tying in quite well with the Conservation Biology class I took earlier in the summer. The second thing I like is that I'm working with more instrumentation and learning new techniques. This has me interested in taking an instrumental analysis course that I hadn't planned on taking. Hell, maybe I will stick around another year for the B.S. in Chemistry instead of just the double B.A.

The work load has been a bit brutal, but it'll be over in just a few more days. All we have left is two more field collections of soil samples, one more soil digestion and analysis, a final exam, a lab notebook check, and a scientific journal-style lab report. Whee. The best part is that I might actually get done early on Friday so that I'll have time to hang out at the Ascent Expo in Manitou.

1 comment:

brownie said...

heh...heh...heh...you said anal!